The purpose of the title
A term paper is an independent scientific study and research of a student on a particular topic. The purpose of the writing of such kind of work is the student’s attachment of knowledge obtained during the educational process of the subject. It is one of the main elements of the learning process, which determines the ability of students to think independently and formulate their thoughts correctly. Successful research and writing of the term paper depend on strict compliance with the basic requirements that apply to them.
According to this requirements, one of the key elements in writing the term paper is the title.
The title is essentially an advertisement for the text following it. Many headlines in a brief compressed form reflect the essence of the events described in the text. It is the title that draws attention to the next text. Titles are expected to describe the content of the paper so that readers can have an idea about what the paper is about and take the decision regarding reading it. A title should help differentiate that particular paper or article from other papers on the topic.
Writing scientific titles that are informative and attractive is a challenging task. Like any piece of writing, an effective title does not appear in one magic moment; it takes brainstorming and revising. That is why students often ask themselves how to title a term paper or how to write a title page for a term paper? In this article, we are going to give you basic tips, which you need to keep in mind while writing a title.
How to make a good title for a term paper?
Your title should be as specific as possible. The main criteria for a good title are:
- The intrigue that instantly affects the consciousness of a person awakens curiosity, quickly attracts attention;
- Target direction. The correct title of the term paper is always focused on a specific target audience. It makes it clear to the person that the material was created for him and will be useful to him. The title should fully match the expectations of the target audience and then it really will “work”;
- Benefit. When we are searching on the Internet and looking for specific information, we can see that not all the headlines are invented correctly. After reading them, the reader immediately thinks about whether the information will be useful to him and whether it is worth spending his personal time reading it. The same is with a term paper.
There are several basic steps, which will prompt you how to make a term paper title.
- Write your paper. Most often, titles are written at the end of the writing process, so the first step in creating a great title is to write your paper. While writing the text of your work, write down important words and phrases that you can use as ideas for the title. Focus on the specific details and images that arise when reading the material and emotions that it generates.
- Consider your audience.Of course, you thought about your intended audience before and while writing your paper, but think about who will be reading your work again when choosing a title. Think about what is most likely to appeal to them: content? Meaning? Go back to the assignment instructions and course outline.
- Re-read the term paper assignment instructions. Were there any special instructions related to titles? Follow these instructions.
- Use words or phrases from the paper question in your title. Certain key phrases related to methods occur time and time again in term paper assignments, and these phrases appear just as often in titles: analyze, assess, compare/contrast, define, describe, discuss, evaluate, illustrate, outline, relate, summarize. Turn these verbs into nouns (an analysis of, a summary of).
- Does the assignment ask a question? Asking a question in a title can be an effective way to spark the curiosity of readers, but it’s usually a good idea to give the answer in your title.
- Re-read your paper. If a good title doesn’t suddenly come to mind, write down your topic and keywords from your work. These words reflect the main concept or ideas of the whole paper. Join these words together in a sentence, or sentences. Convert these sentences into shorter phrases.
- Re-work your title. Occasionally, a title will pop into your mind fully formed, but most often, titles need to be written, expanded, and edited several times. Make the title as informative as possible, even if it seems long or wordy. Don’t hold back – reveal your conclusions. Be direct and enthusiastic. Then try to make your title simple and brief.
How to make a title page for a term paper?
When you are finally done with your term paper, all you need is a title page to finish off your work and get your paper ready to turn in.
The title page is the first page of your research paper. In order to make a good first impression, it is important to have a well-formatted title page. Typically, the purpose of the title page is to provide general information: your name, the date, the title of the class, the title of your paper and your teacher’s name.
The title page of the APA (American Psychological Association) formatted paper is very specific and organized. This style is most commonly used to cite sources within the social sciences.
There are five main components to the title page:
- Running head
- Page number
- Author’s name
The purpose of the Running head is to provide a keyword focused and abbreviated title for the paper. A running head should be placed on the top right-hand side of each page and must contain your last name and page number. Full title, authors, and schools name are centered on the page, typed in uppercase and lowercase.
It is not easy for authors to select an appropriate title, as it is not easy to pick up the most accurate words among several options. So, do not hesitate to use the tips below on topic how to make a title for a term paper in order to understand how to deal with it.